Call of Duty: Black Ops ‘Zombies’ Tips. If We Share Some, Will You?By Joseph Oliveto
If you own Call of Duty: Black Ops, odds are you’ve discovered the nearly endless joys of slaying hordes of the undead in the Zombies mode. While the online multiplayer side of the game is impressive and the campaign is sufficient, Zombies is quickly becoming one of the ultimate party games. We’d like to share some of our own tips for the “Kino der Toten” map, but everyone’s got a different strategy for this game, so we want you to chime in with your own words of advice.
Kino der Toten Tips
- Getting Points: Points are important in Zombies. They determine what weapons you can buy and what doors you can open, and when you’re on round fifteen with a swarm of flesh-eaters chasing you and two bullets left, you’ll want to be able to purchase more ammo and open a door should you need to flee through it. The best way to earn some easy points during the first three rounds is to stick to using you handgun and knife. This is a little more tedious than simply taking out the zombies with the rifle or shotgun, but it will pay off in the long run.
- Conserve Your Grenades: When used properly grenades can be very helpful in this game, but they are very difficult to time correctly when you’re rushing through the hallways. It’s best to save them until you’ve turned on the power and can use the teleporter to get above the zombies for a moment. Looking down into the theatre, you can toss a few grenades at masses of zombies, taking off their legs and leaving them fairly useless. You’ll also be grateful towards the end of the round if you want some time to buy new weapons or rebuild barriers; the zombies who’ve been struck by grenades won’t pose much of a threat, so you can tie up your loose ends before killing them and starting a new round.
- Carry a Shotgun: Dogs can be particularly annoying when they show up in this game. Sure, in later rounds you can just lead them into the theater, then turn on the turret and teleport away to safety, but you’ll be wasting valuable points and overusing the teleporter, which will eventually need a “cool down” period. The best way to take care of them is with a shotgun, so try to have one handy. Automatic weapons work too, but those are more effective against zombies.
- Be Strategic With the Crawlers: Those crawlers can haunt your nightmares, but they can also be helpful if you time everything just right. As you’ve probably noticed, they explode after being killed, and those explosions help to take out any zombies in their vicinity, so if you think you can time everything perfectly and kill a crawler while its leading a pack of pursuing zombies, go for it. By the time these guys show up, every little bit helps.
- Run Around. A lot: By the later rounds, the zombies will seem utterly endless, and the best way to deal with them at this point, after you’ve teleported above and taken some out that way, is to simply let them chase you around the map until you find a room where they aren’t respawning and then turn around and defend your position for as long as you can, preferably with a hail of automatic gunfire, headshots, and maybe the occasionaly grenade if you think it is worth it. You’ll likely have to retreat at some point, but this is a lot better than trying to take them out as they crawl through the barriers once you’ve made it to round eighteen or so.
Those are just a few of our insights, but we know there are plenty more helpful tips that can lead to success in this game. As our readers, you’ve got to have some words of advice, so we’re asking you to share them in the comments section. We’d like to build a long list of strategies to allow everyone playing this game to take the fun to the next level.
What’s worked best for you? Let us know your strategy in the comments section!